Monday, February 23, 2015

Dosa from Scratch: It's NOT hard at all..


 We are a foodie family. We experiment, we attempt, we fail and we try.
I am one of those who try to cook a fresh meal daily for the kiddos. I say try. The menu needless to say has to be quick and easy to put together. Our week's menu range from Indian Staples: Tortilla/Roti, Vegetables, Curry to Pasta, Quesdilla, Burgers, Panini and snacks... Who says snacks can’t be dinners at times!

In the last 6 months there is one new item: Dosa I have learned that has changed our weekly menu's

My friends MIL gave me a recipe and I have been at it pretty much once every 2-3 weeks
Dosa from scratch!

As you read below, you will think 'My Gosh, it's a 3 day process' yes and no. From the time you soak to you cooking the dosa is 2-3 days. But your involvement is only 20 minutes tops. I guarantee, else I would not be sharing this recipe

Time Breakdown
Soak: 12 hours
Grind: 5 - 10 minutes
Ferment: 24 hours
Prepare the dosa: Depends on your speed!

Ingredients: Makes about 25-30 dosa
2 cup rice
1 cup Udat Daal
1 tsp Methi Dana
1 tsp Chana Daal

Process:
1. Mix and wash all the ingredients and soak overnight
2. Next morning, drain the mixed rice/udat daal and grind them using a heavy duty blender, Example: Blendtec, Ninja Turbo
3. Grinding Notes
1. The grinding takes about 5 - 10 minutes
2. Add less than 1/2 cup water during the process of grinding
3. The batter is a thick white paste, I feel it with my hands, if its grainy, I blend some more.
4. At the time of grinding, feel free to add 1 cup of Poha (washed) for extra crispy dosa's

Ferment:
Pour the batter in a box that seals well and after pouring there is some : My Pyrex works magic!
Size of the box in which you seal the batter should be 2/3 filled since on fermenting the batter rises.
Place the batter in the closed oven (no need to start it)for 24 hours plus to ferment.

Making Dosa:
1. The fermented batter generally rises a little more.
2. Take 1/2 the batter and gradually add water (1 cup) to make the batter liquidy. The batter should be like the pancake batter consistency to make dosa's
3. Add 1 tsp of spoon of salt and roll out the Dosa like Crepe's

The remainder half can be stored in refrigerator upto 5 days. 

To Eat:
I have attempted the following varieties over the past few months:
Sada Dosa,
Cheese Dosa,
Aalloo Masala Dosa,
Paneer Dosa,
Mysore Masala

You have some other variations, please do send my way!

Accompaniments with dosa:
Nariyal Chutney: Recipe coming soon
Green Chutney:
Red Habanero Chutney: Recipe coming soon

Sambhar: I make a 'quick fix' one of these days I will learn the traditional recipe for Sambhar, for now my family is happy with the 'quick fix sambhar’ which tastes really good, if I may add that!


No comments: