Saturday, February 1, 2014

Negotiating with kids

In my next edition of Kids say the darnest things.

I have a 6 year old who is convinced she needs a pet. Since we have a few friends who own cats and dogs, she is not as charmed with them. She decided she wants a Fish.

V:    I think we should have a fish
GN: Hmm, let me think about it
V:    How about a deal? I write every single day and then you get  me a fish
(You see, we are encouragin her to write a bit more)
GN: Hmm, let me think about it.
V:    Ok, today is February 1, how about every single day this month
(She is really not letting it go)
GN: Hmm, let me think about it.
V:    Nothing to think about, its done. Final! Yay, I cant wait to tell me friends I am getting a fish!
(Really!!!! That's it!)

Second case:
V: I think I want a spider or a lizard for a pet.
(This is not going to end well!)
GN: Why?
V:    Because you are scared of them.
GN: But, that's just not fair.
(Oh my gosh!!!)
V:   Ok, when I grow up and have my own house, I will have a spider or lizard pet. And then you have to come every day
(Huh?)
GN: Why will you have your own house?
V: (Eye Roll) Look around you, you, papa, mama, bhua, friends everyone has their own house.
GN: Aah.
V: Done! So a spider as a pet, 10 years from now. You have to visit everyday and sleep in the room where my spider's cage is!
(Again, I loose, she moves out: I still have to visit her daily and sleep in the darn spider's room!!!)

Can I have my toddler V back, Miss Chatter Box? Please?

No comments: