Thursday, November 7, 2013

Unnecessary Glorification

You know how it is, there is one good article/ one picture and it gets circulated. A Lot. on facebook, via whats app, via mail, via e-anything. So a simple picture becomes 'Glorified'
 Here it is.

 I saw it, and was very uncomfortable, but I let it go and didn't 'Like' it. It comes up on another Media outlet and before I know it, that one day, I see it every where.
And I kept growing more and more uncomfortable.
 And here is why
 To me, the picture signifies the following
1. The lady has a smile on her face while multi-tasking.
Seriously show me one person who can handle all the stuff without whining. Kids or no kids. It is unrealistic representation of a person. It makes it seem its okay to do all this and if you are not smiling- Shame On you.
 2. She looks more like a sacrificial lamb to me.
It makes whatever the lady is doing 'single handedly' look OK. And I want to stand up and shout. ITS NOT.
3. The guy below the lady has a 'Exclamation' on his head.
Seriously?? What is he amazed at how much the lady can do? Is he amazed that he has two hands which are useless. What?

It's images like these which seem regressive to me.
Yes on any given moment, like all of us, I wear multiple hats. May be of a parent, a corporate executive, a girl, a cook. But so does my husband. How about we create an image to glorify him? The father, a co-parent whose work generally goes un-noticed or un-glorified!

It's images like these which seem like they are judgmental.
I don’t think I do half of the things that a 'good mother' is supposed to.  I think I have ironed Sumit's shirts a total of 3 times in our time together. Does that make me a bad wife? 
I think not.
It's images like these that I NEVER want to show my girls. Never



No comments: