Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Baking Experiments: Eggless Pear-Rhubarb Cake

This is  exactly how this recipe came to life.
A week ago, I was walking in my grocery store and saw rhubarb. Perfect, delicious smelling, red rhubarb. I said, hmm. I have never cooked anything with it. So lets try something. Came home, refrigerated it and forgot about it until this weekend.

I realized, oh,Pears are very ripe. Oh, wow. I didnt do anything with this Rhubarb.
Googled, read a few recipes and then said: You know what, this looks easy enough. Lets try.
Here is my recipe adapted from here to make an Eggless Pear Rhubarb Cake.

Ingredients
1 cups finely chopped rhubarb (It felt like celery to chop)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped pears (Mine were pretty ripe, so a juicy chopping board)
1 cups demerara sugar (Next time, I am going to use lesser, since the cake came out sweeter than I like)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups apple sauce (Peeled two apples and pureed them in the Nutri Bullet)- This is my substitute for eggs.
3 cups all-purpose flour (Next time, i will try 1.5 cup All purpose and 1.5 cup wheat flour)
1 cup chopped almonds (Since this was the only nuts at home, am sure walnuts, cashews, macadamia will taste divine as well)
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste (I am in the phase of gingering up all my food)

Process.
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients except apple sauce, baking powder and nuts
2. Pre-heat the over to 350F and grease the baking dish with butter. I have a dish liner so I used that instead.
3. Now mix the apple sauce, one spoon at a time. Then add the baking powder and nuts. Just save some to put on top.
4. Put the batter in the baking dish. Garnish with the remaining nuts and put it in the oven
5. Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes. You can test by inserting a knife. If it comes out clean, its done!

And now... Enjoy
1. Warm with spreading light butter 0r
2. With a warm cup of tea  or
3. Ask your kids to decorate the slice and enjoy watching them make the mess and the smiles and the scary faces.
 

With Halloween fever in my house, We just used red icing for a 'bloody cake' V's words, not mine!

No comments: