Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Photography has ruined travel. Has it?

The title from the CNN article was enough to make me stop and read it. And then read it again, think about it, process it. Hmm 'Photography has ruined travel' one line I smirked about was 'My memories are framed by the 2x2-inch blurry screen of my camera. Not once did I look up to see the fish with my own eyes. '
It has happened to me before. Most recently in Scotland, I was so busy taking the right picture of the pony and my daughter feeding it the cut apple, that I can’t remember her squeals of her laughter. True.
Has photography really ruined travel? I don’t think so. The first thing I pack on a trip is our camera's (Point N Shoot & SLR) with their chargers. I need a camera to capture the moments. I often sit on our couch on go over the pictures from back then and smile. They are hundreds, but I still enjoy them all the time. I need my pictures. For myself. For refreshing the memories made, relishing the chocolate cake, smelling the coffee, reliving the laughter, everything. Pictures make travel and experiences more memorable!
Having said that, Yes, I do hate the Iphone/ smart phone cameras. Don’t get me wrong, I use them all the time, but somehow they don’t qualify as 'pictures'. They are just a log of activity done.
Anyhow, the other thing the article also touched upon was 'googling about planning a trip'. Hmm,  Guilty as charged. It generally starts with a Wiki search, followed up by travel reviews, some blogs and so on. One hour gone.
But that’s when it stops. Sumit and I then go to the library, get a travel book, be it Frommers, Lonely Planet whatever. But get the book, read it, mark it and then based on our 'antiquated research' plan a trip.
This is then followed up by finding the 'deals online' for travel, accommodation and what have you. Plan, Find, Book. Enjoy!
On a trip itself, we have often being condemned by family, that we are cut off. Guilty again. Emails are checked very rarely, Facebook, not at all, phones only for incoming urgent calls. Rest, it’s the trip, us, laughter, relaxation and of course the camera. And yes, the smart phone left in the car for the hikes.
What about you? DO you agree with the author that photography spoils the travel itself? Do pictures aid your trip, or do you say ' I have to snap this and put it on Facebook'?
Next, How do you plan your trips? And if you are backpacker.... hmm, when is your next trip? Count us in!
One post in draft for the longest is @facebook: Is it like high school all over again? But being on FB and enjoying it a lot, I hate to bitch about it. So the draft post, stays in draft a bit longer! Your views?

3 comments:

Gayatri said...

Goodness! I am guilty of ruining my vacations because I constantly take photos. But it's fun going back and reliving them!

I want to see your Facebook post! Nothing wrong in enjoying something but also knowing where its faults lie :)

Gayatri

Lakshmi said...

I truly believe so. We take very less pictures when we travel. I enjoy snaps taken at home or other relaxing situations more than when travelling/site seeing. In situations when travelling is a rarity, it makes sense to click a lot may be. But seeing people walk around disney world with a camcorder is totally senseless to me.

pavani reddy said...

i too love taking pictures of the things i do especially outside n on vacations...i enjoy them later...n i feel they make us live those times all over again..but my friends sometimes get irritated with my pics obsession..i jumped here from gayatri`s blog...n u have a gr8 one here garima..