Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Another Quick Fix Recipe: Stuffed Red Peppers

This weekend we swung by our neighborhood farmers market and bought a case (read 31) red peppers for 5$. Yes people... in regular stores where one red pepper costs one dollar. In our lovely farmers marker, 31 beautiful, organic, ripe red peppers cost only 5$. I did try to convince a friend of ours to split the case... but since he was still finishing off his case from last week, so I let it go.

So now... so many red peppers and what to do.
I tried making a couple of things last night: Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup- my friend’s recipe. It was divine, Croissant/Filled puff and the following Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers.

Here is my quick fix recipe for the same... it took me twenty minutes minus baking time. And I love things which look presentable and don’t take hours to get done and of course taste "yummy in the tummy"

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients
1 cup rice (Feel free to replace with quinoa/ brown rice)
4 large red bell peppers (Green is fine as well)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 green chilly
Spices: Salt, Pepper, Turmeric, Chilly Powder, Chilli Flakes
2-3 finely chopped tomato (or 1 can of diced tomato)
Additonal: If you like tangy.. Chaat Masala
If you like aromatic..Oregano/Basil (Dried or fresh)
Feel free to add nuts like: Pecans/ Cashews/ Almonds

Directions
For Stuffing
1. Cook rice like you normally would. I tend to drain the starch water away.
2. On a skillet, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onions. Fry until translucent.
3. Then add the chopped tomatoes and chopped green chili.
4. Add the spices. Feel free take a pick at tangy/ aromatic.
5. Cover the skillet for the tomatoes to get cooked.
6. When the gravy is cooked, add cooked rice, mix, and adjust seasoning.
For Base
1. Meanwhile, cut the top part of the red pepper and deseed. It becomes like a cup and a cap! :-)
2. In a microwave container, fill 1 inch water. Place the red pepper and on high start for 6 minutes. (Alternatively boil on gas)
3. The red pepper should be soft but firm.

Assembly:
In the red peppers, fill in the stuffing. Top with cilantro/cheese and bake it in the oven (300F) for 15 minutes.
Put the cut cap back on and serve.

Eat.......by itself.
That's what I like about this recipe, since the stuffing is rice, we didn’t need additional things with it. Plus did I mention it took me about 20-25 minutes for making this which included helping V with her art and me gulping my coffee.

Now... I am up for suggestions.. what do I do with the remainder of my 22 red peppers!!! Any recipes/ recommendation welcome. Note, we are vegetarian.
Also...which will stuffing in red pepper might taste better, if at all:
A: Cream Cheese/Greek Yogurt + Spinach + Artichokes + Dried Cranberries (I know it’s not the healthiest option!!)
B: Pasta + White Sauce + Carrots/Peas/Spinach
ANy place you guys know for fun contribution.

6 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Sounds really yummy. I got to try it sometime. And, really you got peppers for that price. Best I have ever found there is 3 for $2!

Garima said...

Lakshmi... I know man.. I was so surprised, I am cooking something or the other with it everyday.. so they dont get spoiled. Of course sharing with neighbors is also done!

Priyanka Rajkhowa said...

Wowww...sounds yummmm....I loved stuffed peppers...will have to try this...

Garima said...

@ Priyanka... let me know how it turns out girl..

UmaS said...

WOW....this is super easy and yummy too...Ok...am off to buy some green peppers.... ;) ;) Will tell u how it turned out for me... :) Bookmarking your page. :)

If you dont know how to use up the 31 bell peppers, try this :

Make the Bell Pepper Stuffed dish using all the 31 peppers and distribute it evenly to everyone who comments here....ha ha ha...howzaat ???? ;) ;)

I dont know anything else - we make capsicum sambar, fried capsicum (like aloo fry), capsicum bhajji, can add in salads...google it woman... ;) ;)

Garima said...

@ UMAs.. hehe.. I love the idea.. so I am virtually distributing them!!!!
Now... come one back and tell me how the peppers turned out for you??